Sunday, August 10, 2008

Ward Camp-Out

The Bountiful 39th Ward Camp-Out has been a tradition of enjoyment for as long as I was a little girl. Years ago I went with my family to Monte Cristo, Bear Lake, and then later Hyrum Lake. For the past 10 years I've enjoyed going with my little family and my parents. This year was no exception. Off to Hyrum Lake we went Thursday. We had high hopes of putting the boat in the water early on Thursday, but with a few minor distractions we only succeeded to get to camp, set up camp, and enjoy the company of fellow ward members. We shared our camp with my parents and Tyler and Eva's family. Thursday night Cameron and I were in charge of dinner. Really, Cameron cooked because we all know I don't cook, especially camping. Dinner was delicious and we all suffered from "eating way too much." We anticipated a fun evening around the campfire, but ended up in bed early due to rain. The girls spent their first camping trip in a tent all to themselves. With no parental supervision, they talked until almost midnight. After shushing them a few times, Cameron gently reprimanded me, "let them have their fun."

Friday morning the kids chased a chicken while we prepared breakfast. Bryon got brave and with a little encouragement picked her up and held her. He thought that was the coolest thing ever. The kids each took turns holding this almost tame chicken. It was crazy. After breakfast was cleaned up we were off to the lake. The boat ran great with only a few minor glitches. I was so happy to see the girls share their boat time so willingly with others from the ward. Cameron played the perfect host Captain, making sure everyone got a turn and enjoyed themselves. Friday evening was the ward dutch oven bake off. Our tummies were very happy with all the many dutch oven desserts. Yum, Yum! My favorite was Brother Moffet's pumpkin dessert. Cameron cooked up crawdads for those that caught them. The young boys thought this was way cool. I was hoping to head to bed early, but Kensington burnt her hand on the lantern. After tucking them into bed, it wasn't long until I heard her crying quietly. I sent Karina to go sleep with Cameron in our tent and I climbed in bed with Kens. Poor thing, she had blisters on pads of her fingers as well as her palm. She was really hurting, but with mommy holding her she eventually drifted off to sleep.

Saturday morning we set up a little hospital and re wrapped Cameron's finger and our neighbor Tiffany's foot. Tiffany jumped out of the boat (not ours) onto a glass bottle cutting the bottom of her toe open. She made a trip to the ER and got 6 stitches. After cleaning up camp and visiting with some of the ward members we headed off to the lake again. We had so much fun watching Cameron teach some of the young men to ski. Alex Campbell got up on his first try and I think he is a natural water skier. Natalie Campbell hasn't skied in about 10 years and she got up on a slalom on her first try. Quite impressive. Many others skied too. I haven't skied in over 10 years and had way too much fun. My body is feeling it today. It was a great trip and it is always fun to spend time with family and friends!

8 comments:

Carrie said...

It looks like a ton of fun. I wish Brad and I could've made it. Sorry about Kensington's hand... That's no good. Maybe she was trying to make Cam feel better about his hand?...

Heather Harbaugh said...

Awww memories of the ward campouts! Maybe someday we will go to one! That would be fun huh? Tell Kensington I hope she gets better soon. Poor thing!

Melissa said...

Those are cute pic's.
How is Ken's hand now? Not a great week for hands in the Kent family.
I"m sorry I didn't even see you guys at the ward camp out till late.
I would've come and hung out.

Laura said...

What fun time. You look great up on those skis. Sorry about Kensington's hand, hope she is all better. Fun times!

Perry's said...

It sounds like you guys had fun. I hope kensington feels better

Sarah said...

Fun pictures to fill me in with! thanks.

Talbot Family said...

I agree, the campout was fun. I loved watching the ward come together and help each other out. The Bishop even helped John put up our tent before it was dark. Impressive. Next time you'll have to take me out to the water and see if I can ski ;)

munyer jerk chicken said...

I kept thinking that the chicken was going to end up in a dutch oven! I'm so glad she didn't! What a fun time you guys had... and I think it's so cool that you've been doing this since you were a kid. Fun tradition!

I hope everybody's owies feel better soon!