Friday, October 3, 2008

Caribou Hunt - Nanuvik


What a blast! Although it was a short trip, what a great experience! I planned this trip over 2 years ago, anxiously been waiting for it, and now it has come and gone. A large group of close friends and family left Tuesday morning for Canada arriving in Montreal. On Wednesday we flew into a very remote part of the Northern Territories called Nanuvik, in a little town call Kujjuak. We were warned there was not very many Caribou moving due to the warm whether conditions. I must admit I was a little disappointed. However, that didn't last long. Hurricane Ike had moved into the area and did that ever get the caribou on the move faster than Santa can say "Merry Christmas!" On the second day the hills were covered with caribou as far as the eye could see. I'm pretty sure I set a new record. Within 18 minutes I had harvested both of my bulls. The first with a rifle and the second with my bow. I was done by 8:30 a.m. Not bad for a mornings work. I can't believe how close I was to the herd. Some of the animals passed 8 feet from me, not knowing I was there. I'll admit I enjoyed the hunt, but I LOVED watching these magnificent creatures roam the hillsides. It is so cool to see how they move synchronized with one another. It's difficult to express in words the amount of animals gathered together moving at once. They estimated over 100,000 caribou passed our camp that day alone. M-A-ZING!!! Needless to say, with all of us "tagging out" we left on Saturday instead of Wednesday to return home. Great trip was had by all!

4 comments:

Laura said...

I think hunting sounds so exciting!!! The pictures are amazingly beautiful and congrats on the TWO Caribou. (I had no idea Caribou were that big!0

Melissa said...

I didn't realize that their horns looked like that. Very different!!
I'm glad you had a good time and I'm glad you got to come home 4 days early.

Carrie said...

I'm going to have to break the news to Rudolph that his cousin, Vinny, was killed by Cameron the mighty hunter! He's going to be so sad...

Glad you had a great time. Congrats on the hunting success.

Unknown said...

WOW - What an awesome looking Caribou!