Thursday, October 2, 2008

Weeds of Life

Today I spent the morning weeding my flower beds. Back in the Spring I spent 3 to 4 days a week tending my little flower gardens; loving them, weeding them, fluffing the soil to promote good oxygen for good flower growth. As I was weeding I couldn't help compare weeds to sins of life. As I was a young girl, learning to tend a garden at the feet of my parents, I heard time and again "if you weed them when they are small the job is much easier." How true that is of our little sins that we might make. If we take care of them when they are small, it is so much easier to correct the problem. As time goes on and we forget about our gardens or get to busy to tend to them as often as we should the weeds grow up and get out of control. It takes a lot more work to beautify our gardens. As it is the same with our sins. If we don't tend to them, correct them, they take over consume us, leaving us to spiral out of control to the depths of misery.

My flower gardens had grown up quite a bit, so even though it has been awhile since I last weeded, they weren't too bad. The large beautiful flowers had kept the weeds at bay and under control. The flowers are like our testminoy and faith in Jesus Christ, His strength and our testimony of Him keeps the sins at bay. We have a desire to please Him, live like Him, beautify our spirits for Him-because of this our desire to sin is less. I look forward to spending time this weekend listening to conference. I look at it as fertilizer for the soul. It will fill my resevoir, fill up my soul and give me the strength I need to continue on tending to my garden.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

So true.
I loved conference.
Overall I enjoyed Sat better, but I got something out of each talk.
The difference for me was taking notes this time around.
Not one yawn or droopy eye. I was amazing.
I did it!!
I paid attention to EVERY TALK!!
It only took me 31 years.
Now the real test will be in 6 months if I can do it again.

Carrie said...

I love this post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I too loved General Conference.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful analogy!