Saturday, June 28, 2008

Book Review - The Host

Okay, so Stephenie Meyer's new book "The Host" sat on my night stand for
three weeks. I was quite resistent to read it. I had heard from several Stephenie Meyer fans that it was a fabulous book, however I just wasn't excited about the idea of a science fiction novel. It was bad enough all those years that I endured watching the X-Files and Star Trek the Next Generation with Cameron, I wasn't going to endure over 600 pages of sci-fi.
After a long stretch with nothing to read, I caved. I picked it up and began reading. Within the first 2 chapters I was hooked. I'd already shed some tears, so I knew this book was going to be great and it was. How often do you get to read a love story about 2 people occupying the same body and both beings in love with the same man, only to have him hate the very thought of the existence of one of the beings. The story of Melanie and Jared, Ian and Wanderer captured my heart. I will return my borrowed copy and soon be making a trip to Costco to by my own copy. I can't wait to meet them again when I re-read the book. Yes, I will be reading it again soon, but not until I finish "Little Women" and the entire "Twilight" series before August 2nd. So many books and so little time.

8 comments:

Heather Harbaugh said...

Yes, you are welcome. Aren't you so glad I let you borrow it! It really was an excellent book. I loved both Melanie and Wanderer and they are both so different from each other! Can't wait to see you and the girls tomorrow!

Perry's said...

I agree. I was a little worried about reading it. But I loved it. I also cried. But I had a hard time getting past the first 3 chapters. I almost put it down and stopped. But I kept going. I loved it. It is so good. She is such a great writter. She needs to keep it up.

Sarah said...

Ok, so I just wrote a big long comment and then my hand grazed the touchpad and somehow it all vanished...grrr.

Basically, I'm not into sci-fi either...the only thing I know about X-Files is that people used to tell me I looked like Skully all the time on my mission and then it became my nickname at work for a long while... And I've never lasted very long watching Star Trek. However, your post has piqued my interest and I have added THE HOST to my long list of books I want to read :)

Thanks for the review! I hope life is treating you well! I need to get up to Bountiful more!

Sarah said...

Very different from her others. Sci-fi is not my favorite either...but I got through it and liked it by the end.

Talbot Family said...

Hmmmm, you may have convinced me to read it. I will let you know.

Carrie said...

Ok... Can I borrow it now? I'm out of reading material!

Melissa said...

I'm out of reading material as well.
Is it a series or is that one book it?
And when's the last book coming out of the Twilight series?

The Morris Family said...

It has been sitting on my nightstand since the day it came out! I have picked it up twice but only read the first 2 chapters. I am trying to get into it and I'm sure I will as soon as I get past the fact that Edward is not going to appear in this book! I've never been one for Sci Fi.