Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Random Thoughts

It's late at night and I'm trying to keep my mind occupied. Or rather, keep it from running away with me. Last I heard from my insane, absent husband, he was sitting around a campfire at the Kenai's girls camp. He is on Bear Patrol. No really. In Alaska the priesthood serve to purposes; the first being just that, priesthood, the second they must carry a gun to protect the girls from the many grizzly and black bears that live in the area. So, the fact that his phone is off, and it is NEVER off and I haven't heard from him in over 7 hours causes me to bite my nails and fret a bit.

I also received some very sad news today. My brother-in-law Jay is one of my favorite people. I think of him as a brother and not just a brother-in-law. I think the world of him and my heart goes out to him. He lost his brother today to mental illness. It took me a while to call him because I didn't know what to say. Kinda ironic, being that I lost my father-in-law the same way. Then I remembered it's not what you say that matters. There is really nothing a person can say. All that mattered was letting him know that I was thinking of him, that I cared, that I was so sorry. I'm reminded again of how powerful the atonement is. Only the Lord can pass judgement. The Savior felt all our pains, sadnesses, heartaches, and illnesses. I'm so glad that we have our knowledge of the gospel to support us in these times of trial. I also know that the peace that comes from the Holy Ghost is wonderful. I hope that the Randall family will be able to find peace and solace at this time.

Last TuesdayCameron and I attended the Temple for an Endowment session before he returned to Alaska. On Saturday I went with Karina and my dad for Baptisms for the Dead, and tonight I went with parents, my sister and her husband, and two nephews and did sealings. I am so grateful for the blessings of the Temple. I am grateful for the things I learn each time I attend. I'm grateful for the peace I feel when I'm there. I am especially grateful for the binding of families to one another that are sealed there.

There are few things in this life that really matter. It doens't matter what kind of car we drove, how clean our house was, how big our house was, how many "toys" we had, what namebrand clothes we wore, etc. The things that we take with us our the relationships that we build here. It matters if we had integrity, charity, compassion, and love for other people. Heartache to others is never a good thing, however, it is a good time to take a moment to evaluate our life. Put together checks and balances to see if I'm measuring up to the person I think I am or want to become.

Thanks for letting me ramble. A pensive would sure be a nice possession to have about now. Let go of a few thoughts that are keeping me awake late at night.

UPDATE...Cameron just called. His phone died, not him. However, he did see 2 black bears on his adventure to girls camp. The bears are alive for 2 reasons, 1st: they were not a threat to the nearby YW, and 2nd: he didn't have a bear hunting license. Perhaps he will blog about his adventures.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm so sad for Jay and his family. That's horrible. I agree with you on the few things that matter in the end. I think the biggest is how we treat people. I hope that I'm doing ok in that area. I'm so glad that Cameron didn't die at YW camp. How cool that the girls have to "Rough" it and sleep in tents in the wilderness where bears can possibly get them! That's how my YW camps used to be. I miss those days.

Melissa said...

Man the things I could write with my random thoughts. Lucily I share a blog and it stops me from rambling too much.
I enjoyed reading you thoughts though, thanks.
I agree, what can you say? Ive always struggled with that. But its what you do that counts too. Cleaning people's houses, washing their cars, mowing their lawn, weeding their gardens, so they can mourn and not worry about the daily routine for a while. That helped our family.
Dru and I are trying to go to the temple every other week. It's tough to find babysitters.
I always feel bad asking people to babysit you know. Well free people!!! People I'm paying, I don't feel bad.
We're suppose to go tonight but we didn't find a babysitter.
So it'll be a little better when Masaru is old enough to look after the kids and Dru and I can go tot he temple you know.
I'm glad you've gotten to go a bit this last little while.

Heather Harbaugh said...

the girls camp story reminds me of my first year at girls camp at Bear Lake and Linda Crook jumped out dressed like a bear. Remind me to tell you the full story....it's pretty funny! I'm glad we had no threat of REAL bears. I'm so sad about Jay's brother! I will have to call Tonya. Thank you so much for your thoughts....I'm so happy that Jason and I are working towards our own eternal family and the blessings that come with it. I love you!

Laura said...

Random Thoughts are great. I am glad your mind was eased with Cameron's call... Dave is out of town also (in Powell) and he get crappy reception. He was supposed to call last night and his phone had NO service, ARG! He called this morning.

HOLY COW!!! BEARS!!! That would FREAK me out... I couldn't sleep if that was the case. I bet the girls love it, right?

I have been wanting to go to the temple for ever but its so hard with a new baby. That is great that you got to go so many times. I really love the peacefulness we can feel there, it WONDERFUL!

Sarah said...

I really like your random thoughts. You are truly an incredible woman. I love your faith and trust in the Lord... and your willingness to share the thoughts of your heart. Thanks for the reminder of what's most important.