Thursday, June 5, 2008

Middle Child


Kensington is my middle child. Middle children are often forgotten or,
just not talked about quite as much as the oldest or the youngest. I have fallen into this pit of not mentioning my middle child on my blog. Karina has had 2 posts dedicated to her, Karadie has had 1, the dog has had 2, and Kazen has even had 2. Poor Kensington has had no posts dedicated to her. So Kensington here's to you kiddo.


This child of ours has many gifts and talents. First of all she is brilliant. Not only do I think this, but Davis County School District does too. Of all the 4th graders in our school, she is the only one that scored 100% on the end of level mathematics tests. She certainly did not get that from me, her mother. Math is NOT my subject. Just ask any of the spectrum (gifted and talented) 4th grade math students I subbed for this past school year. She doesn't really have to study for spelling tests. She loves science and asks all the questions only a scientist would ask. Her teacher this past year, Mrs. Edwards, has really helped Kensington develop some of her skills and has made a HUGE difference in helping Kensington improve her self-esteem. Thank you so much Mrs. Edwards!


Even talented kiddos have funny little quirks too. WARNING: The following story is NOT approved by said child. Our favorite thing about Kensington is that she walks in her sleep. I don't mean just walks to the bathroom, or moves around her room a bit. I mean she takes a walk-a-bout to the neighbors homes too. Yes, this is a bit scary too (thanks Tyler and Eva for bringing her back safely). The lastet walking story took place a short time before Cameron left for Alaska. We were both still awake when we heard sleep-walking child on the move. I followed her down stairs to have a look-see. She was rambling on about some story involving Karadie and plane tickets. Whatever. I directed her to the bathroom (this usually helps her wake up and not be aggitated). I left her in the bathroom to do her thing privately and went off to tell her dad the story and have a good laugh. On back to the bathroom I went to check on her, only to find her not on the potty, but the garbage can, yep doing her thing in the garbage can. No longer was the laughter quiet. Tears rolling down my face and window breaking laughter coming from the mother. All the noise woke Kens, she glanced over at the toilet, looked at me, shook her head and said; "oh, that is just sick. Not a word mom." I kept the silence for a while, but can't do it any longer. Love ya Kens. Thanks for learning how to have humor about things that REALLY are funny. Thanks for being such a great, well-rounded middle child.

10 comments:

Laura said...

LOL!!! Too funny... she is so cute!

Perry's said...

That is so funny. I am crying. We love you kens. You are to cute. I was laughing so hard that the kids came in to ask me what I was laughing at. So I had to call Blair. He was laughing but had to get off the phone to go to work. We love you kens. your the best. don't worry. You should hear what i do when i am sleeping while I am pergnant. Ask me i will tell you. It will make you feel better

Carrie said...

Kens... You're amazing. Don't hate your mom for sharing this funny story. I love it. I'll have to tell you about the time I was sleep walking and fell down the stairs, thus spraining my ankle. Well, I guess I just did... It was pretty funny. I'm also a middle child, and I think it's the best place to be! I love this post!

Michelle said...

You must have got your smarts from your aunt Michelle!! Way to go Kensington!!

Melissa said...

Nice post. I hope she appreciates it. Maybe she wishes now she wasn't posted about LOL.
Dru's family sleep walk as well.
When Dru was a little boy he dreamed his family had all been murdered and he was next, so he ran to the neighbours house knocking and screaming the door down and telling the neighbours to help him. They tried to reasure him everything was fine and took him back to his parents. He was pretty happy it was a dream.
Also in DRu's family we've had children pee in closets, draws, beds, bathtubs and just plan old in their pants.
So don't feel so bad Ken's, you're not alone.

Karina Belle said...

I sure do love you little sis. I may be shorter, but I'll always be older! Love the garbage can story everytime I hear it! LOL!

Karadie said...

I don't care what you do, I love you so much!

Kensington said...

thanks karadie and karina. i am still so shocked you guys didn't wake up with mom laughing so hard!

Unknown said...

Kensington,
It sounds like you are not the only one who sleep walks and does silly things. I will join the club and tell you that I used to do it too when I was a girl. Good news, you will probably grow out of it and graduate into talking in your sleep. Anyway cute story - Thanks for sharing!

Heather Harbaugh said...

so that just really is a funny story! It made my day! I love you sooooo much!