Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Running Thoughts

This morning on my run through the cemetary, I couldn't quite keep my thoughts focused on my breathing or pushing myself to the next level. I thought more about the people I was running past. What kind of life did they live? What were they known most for? Did people like and respect them? How many people grieved them when they were gone? Did they make a difference in the lives of others?

All these questions then steered my thoughts to my own life. I began thinking about those who've had an influence on my life, made a difference to me. My parents have had a tremendous impact on my life, that goes without saying. My dad has had a profound influence on my testimony and seeking to be more righteous, more spiritual, more versed in the scriptures, and having a greater relationship with Jesus Christ. My mom has taught me the importance of service. "Have I done any good in the world today? Have I helped anyone in need? Have I cheered up the sad, and made someone feel glad? If not I have failed indeed." This has been my mom's motto in life. Over the years I have felt so unlike my mom. She can juggle 12 balls in the air at once and make it look easy. I have felt that I did not have that quality. But after my reflection today, I may not be able to juggle 12 balls, but I think I do okay with the amount I can put in the air.

When I die, what are people going to remember me as. I know they won't think wow, she sure was skinny, or was physically strong, or she was an incredible cook. No, I don't think I'll ever run a marathon, I'm not a great cook, I didn't finish college and get a fabulous high paying job after high school. However, I hope that I will be remembered for the service and compassion I have offered others. Cameron and I have always felt that it was important to teach our girls the lost gift of service. From the very beginning, when they could barely talk, we have tried to instill to them how important it is to share what we have with others. We may not be rich with gold or fine things, but we are so richly blessed with the lives that have touched ours.

The other day I was talking to my sister, and trying to teach her a little bit about marriage. The thought occurred to me that you do things for your husband and children, not because they expect it (well perhaps sometimes), but because it makes you feel good to do those things for them because you love them. When you serve someone your feelings for them only grow even more. There are so many in my life that I love and appreciate because they have offered service to me. Some have fixed my mailbox, shoveled my drive-way, weeded my flower beds, mowed my lawns, tended my children, brought countless meals, listened when I needed a friend, cried on my bed or sofa with me. I have been richly blessed by many around me. From these people I have learned to serve. Learned that offering service doesn't always come at a convenient time. I may smell like campfire, but need to take a friends children while she rushes to meet the ambulance at the hospital with her husband. Make a meal even though my cooking sucks. Let my husband go fix and paint a home even though we've had a date planned for weeks and this will clearly interfere.

Anyway, back to my original rambling of thoughts. After my run through the cemetary today, I have felt renewed in making a difference in the lives of others. I don't need to be the skinniest, the fittest, the richest, the most popular, but I do feel that I need to make a difference, so that when I die, people might remeber that somehow, my life touched theirs. Perhaps that I smiled at them, was a friend to them, served them in some capacity or another. After all, we don't get to take our worldly riches with us, only our relationships and reputations. How do you want to be remembered?

11 comments:

Perry's said...

What a good blog. I know I am lacking on mine. But When you were saying what will people think of you when you die. I thought about that. honestly. You are a great mother. i can only wish I am just as good. You have always been there for anyone that needs to. So many times i have cried to you. you and your husband have been there for me all through growing up. I have a few questions for you. Do you have that Talk on Grandma that she gave? I would love to get it and listen to it. And Remember that thing we talked about at your house that you would have to think about if I can borrow? I was wondering if you have thought about it? If you don't want us to I SOOO understand. but let me know. I love ya lots. WHAT A GREAT BLOG

Michelle said...

I have thought about the same things many times and I hope I will be remembered for the good things I have done in this life. I hope I have had some kind of impact on my children's lives or other family and friends.

Sarah said...

We must have been on the same page with our thoughts/posts today. I am certain that there are many things that your girls will remember you for. In YW just this past week, on opposition, Karina mentioned that YOU are "one tough cookie." I thought that was sweet...and full of COMPLETE respect!

Carrie said...

I think you're fabulous. You've been a great example of service to me, as I've told you before. I'm trying to be less selfish with my time, and give more to others. I've often had similar thoughts... most of them go along the lines of "who would come to my funeral, and what would they say about me?" Makes me want to live a better life. Thanks for your post. Sorry that I was asleep while you were out running and getting skinny.

Heather Harbaugh said...

That blog was fantastic! You know I love you and I don't know what I would do without you...I"m so happy that I can call you not only my sister but one of my closest friends! You are an incredible example to me...know that a long, long, long, long time from now when you are gone, you will have left a wonderful legacy behind that is your daughters. You and Cameron have taught them well! I love you!

Sarah said...

Can I be just like you when I grow up? You really are FREAKING AMAZING!! What a great post. I barely know you and being around you makes me want to be around you more AND makes me want to be a better person. Your girls are very blessed to be able to call you MOM. As far as I can see, your girls are very much like you :)

The Morris Family said...

Wow, ok so your blog is unbelievable. I love your thoughts and writings...don't expect that from me, I'm still a little new to the blogging world. You are such an amazing person with such a giant heart. I will never forget when you called me in the hospital after Abbi was born and the endless support and love you and Cam have always shown to us. I too hope to be remembered for some good that I will hopefully make. Love you!

Laura said...

I agree with Heather... Your greatest legacy will be your children. They will show the world what a great mom you are. They are such great girls! This was a fun post to read... thanks for sharing your "running thoughts"... my running thoughts are more like "keep breathing, move one for in front of the other.. .. you can do it!"... but I like your thoughts better :P

Melissa said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I don't think anything bad will be said at your funeral. I'm sure it'll be wonderful and fun.
That's what I hope mine will be.

Talbot Family said...

The experience you had at the cemetary is the exact reason why I run. While I am alone on the streets my mind wanders and sorts all kinds of things out. Before I can even realize it, I am miles away from home feeling much better and clear minded than when I began. This is the addiction I have to running, it is mental. The physical is an added bonus, but I have literally choreographed my funeral, planned birthday parties, solved the worlds problems, thought about how I will be remembered, you know all that jazz. I am glad that you were able to sort things out for yourself.

Familia Martinez said...

I honestly don't know what others will say about me or you at either of our funerals - as old as I am I'm sure I won't be around for either. That said, I'll put in my two cents.
Robyn - eight words: "someone who listened when I needed to talk".
I remember calling you at some ungodly hour a few months after Maryanne passed away. I knew you would listen, I knew you would understand and I knew (even though I am older) that you would care. I also knew that it would wake up Cameron and that was just a side benefit.
I hope someone can say the same thing about me when I'm gone. That would make me feel like my life had value. Thanks.