Sunday, April 27, 2008

Books! Books! Books!



A couple of weeks ago I mentioned my "Twilight" addiction. The first step to recovery is admitting. I finished reading the series for the third time on Friday and passed off the last book to my friend Melissa who has been down under for many months and had heard nothing about Edward. I brought her over to the dark side and she is now an addict too. For my birthday my cute husband sent me a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble. He said it was so I could go pick out some great NEW books. I think secretly he just wanted me to stop reading "Twilight." He couldn't have given me a more perfect present.

From the time I can remember my dad would read to me. I still have my favorite Fairytale book that I loved having him read to me from. Even when we went camping at Bear Lake I would drag my book and have him read to me by the campfire or in my bed before I fell asleep. I thank my dad for the gift he gave me; passion for reading. Not only did he read to me, I watched him devour books. I don't remember my dad ever really watching TV, but I do remember him sitting in the corner of the living room, curled up with a book. I am so glad that this rubbed off onto me. I hope it rubs off onto my own children. Something else I learned from my dad...why borrow a book. It is so much better to own it yourself. Hence the many bookshelves in my house full of books. That part has rubbed off to my kids. Their rooms are full of books. I have 3 tall book shelves full of just my books, and more stored in boxes under the house.


So, what did I do with this wonderful gift certificate from my husband you ask? I spent a very long time in the bookstore without children to disturb or sidetrack me, pacing up and down the isles, occasionally picking up a book or two. I finally settled on some classics that believe it or not I have not read. Anxiously awaiting upon the bedside table to be read sits my newly owned books Pride and Prejudice and Little Women. I also picked up the 3rd Fablehaven, a fabulous mystical youth series.

I'm currently in the middle of a borrowed book, yes I actually did borrow a book from Carrie, Finders Keepers. I can't wait to see if William and Angie end up together, and what happened to William's family? I become so engrossed in the books I read, that I actually go through a grieving process when I'm done reading and the characters are no longer part of my life. Perhaps this is why I love a series, then the characters continue on for a little while.

I'm always ready to read a good book and I especially love recommendations!

6 comments:

Laura said...

I don't know if Melissa told you but I want to be addicted too! I want/need to know what Edward is all about... please put me on your book borrowing list!!!!

Heather Harbaugh said...

Haha Laura's comment is funny! you need to start the books you borrowed from ME! Can you believe it?!? Edward is soon coming to a theater near you! Not soon enough though!!

Melissa said...

Alas I fear the movies won't do Edward justice. I don't think any human can be that good looking and perfect!!


Right, right back to Robyn's post. Sorry I was day dreaming for a bit there.
Yep yep I'm glad your husband is great and he got you a card and you have a great father who's a wonderful example. I hope you LOVE those new books. Let me know how they are.


Seriously they won't do Edward justice!

Talbot Family said...

Hooray for living vicariously through books. There is nothing in the world like being swept off to some distant time and place in a book. Read, re-read, and enjoy.

Brad said...

Robyn, I'm so glad you liked that book. I have another one for you. It's called "Dark Angel" by Robert Kirby. It's fantastic!

~~ BTW, This is Carrie, not Brad. :)

Tiffany said...

I've often tried to explain to Zeke the feeling of "sadness" when I finish a book. He doesn't really understand, just says "I thought it was a happy book." Glad to know others are "book crazy" like me.