Saturday, April 5, 2008

Conference days!

I have enjoyed listening to this mornings conference session. It helped me put my life into the right perspective again. Many recent events in my life have weighed heavy on my heart, some challenging my self-esteem. Church calling changes have been difficult for me. Did I not do a good job? Did I offend someone? What did I do wrong? I worked through that one okay with the help of my Father in Heaven. I know that changes are sometimes necessary even if I wasn't ready for them.

Friends come and go in our lives. I believe that Heavenly Father places people in our lives at a time when either we can serve and help them, or that they can help strengthen us. I am so grateful for the ever steadfast friends that I have. Those that have seen me through career changes, the many health challenges of my daughters, the death of my son, and so many other struggles in my life. The most recent move of Cameron to Alaska has been extremely difficult for me and my little family. I recognize those friends of mine who have showed their concern and compassion during this difficult time. They have attended the temple with me, prayed for me, dropped in on me to make sure the lonely nights aren't so lonely. Thank you! You have no idea how much your kind acts have helped and lifted me. If I were given the choice of being popular and having a lot of fair whethered friends or one true and good friend, I choose the one true and good friend every time.

I'm gratful for the good men who lead our church. These pure in heart and close to the spirit men whom I learn so much from each conference. I eagerly await conference each spring and fall and can hardly wait for the Ensign publication to land in my mail box. I come away from each conference with renewed excitement for standing a little taller and trying a little harder to help build the Kingdom of God and make me a better person. I know that I am a daughter of a Heavenly Father who loves me. I know that Temples bind families together forever if we live worthy of the convenants made there. I know that through the atonement of Jesus Christ I can be saved. I know the Priesthood is the power of God and I am so grateful to a husband who honors the power he holds and can give me and our daughters blessings to help us through hard times. I know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true and I am so grateful to belong to it. I know prayers are heard and answered. I know that the Holy Ghost comforts us, brings peace to our hearts and minds, and testifies of truth. I know the scriptures testify of Christ and are a blueprint for us in our lives today. Again I am so grateful for this weekend and the things I have already felt and learned by enjoying General Conference.

7 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony. I know how hard it is to weather through stormy times in your life and hope to have friends there for you. I am sorry if I have failed you as a friend and not been there for you. I have had many nights of crying my self to sleep as I struggled, and still do, with the divorce of my parents. All of our trials are hard to bear especially when we are the ones going through them. I wish I could make your burdens lighter.

Sarah said...

Friends! What a blessing they are. I am learning how interesting it is to see which friends I still relate to so many years later(such as random college roommates you meet up with simply because you were given the same room key). I am also learning how blessed I can be by friends who have a dramatic impact for simply a day or a month and then fade into the background-just because. There doesn't have to be a huge reason...no one has to offend the other...things just change. I think "fair-weathered" or with you through continuing storms...a friend is a friend and a blessing. Whether our interests change, they get busy with life, or we remain on the constant same page...I believe rubbing shoulders with anyone for any amount of time is a "meant-to-be."

I understand the emotions related to being released from a church calling. I too have felt like a "failure" and questioned why changes had to be made. However, having seen you put your all into camp with our YW...and knowing that the work you did was because you wanted the girls to grow stronger int he gospel...please believe that you made a difference. I from the outside(not knowing the real reason behind the change...but knowing that many prayers were said as to know what to do), just think you have a lot on your plate and didn't need anything else added to it.

Roybn you are amazing. And, although I haven't made it to your frontdoor...please know that you and your family have been in my prayers.

o.k....enough rambling :)

munyer jerk chicken said...

Hi Robin,
Jacob asked Cameron to come over and help him with something in our new apartment (which we absolutely love, by the way)... and he showed us your blog!!! Very nice! It's great to finally see pictures of your girls. They're cuties. Can't wait to meet them. You're bookmarked on our computer now so we'll keep looking/reading. Our blog address is jandbmunyer@blogspot.com. It snowed in Kenai today. Are you excited to move here?
:)Berenice

Carrie said...

Hey friend, thanks for being there for me in all my craziness and stress-ness. And, of course, in all of my good times too. I'm glad the Morris family knows the Kent family. :) Know that you're always in our prayers. We'll have to just keep playing so you don't get lonely... Is that ok? I'm thinking I might have to move to Alaska also, then I won't get lonely when you're gone. Thanks for this post. It was good to read.

Kayla said...

I love you Robyn!

Talbot Family said...

My cute cute Robyn, did you know that you and Cam were the first people to invite the tacky Talbot's over to your home after we had moved into the ward? You were, and we are eternally grateful for your families kindness.

I loved the conference talk where the kid asked his parents "do I need to lower my standards to keep my friends?" I feel really blessed in my life because I have never had to ask myself this question, I either fit in or I don't, but I don't need to change who I am. You accept me for who I am and I love you for who you are. I love that I can come visit you and end up bawling on your bed or on your couch (I am seeing a pattern of bawling going on in my life).

This past October I had a complete break down which of course led to a wretched state of existance and ended in a marathon. We have hills and valleys, I know because I have been in some dark valleys more recently and further passed. I want you to know that if I can help I would love to! I also understand that sometimes we have to find our own ways of coping with life aka 26.2. Love you!!!

Heather Harbaugh said...

I'm glad that friends can be sisters too! Oh my gosh I'm going to cry! We've had some ups and downs as sisters, but through it all, we've managed to always come full circle. You are still one of my best friends and I'm so thankful for that. Thank you so much for all you do for me. It must be a pain being my big sister! Alaska will be lucky to have the Kent family there, for however long you choose to stay! I love you!